Compute Engine – Google Cloud Platform
In this article, I’m going to explain you about how to create a VM instance in Google Cloud Platform using Compute Engine. Cloud compute service is very common useful service in any Cloud Technology . while creating an instance few things need to be taken care of any cloud computing. I hope this article will clear all those basic information in computing engine.
Suggestible Read : http://www.techinformant.in/google-cloud-platform-introduction/
Compute Engine: Google Compute Engine allows us to create Virtual machines on Google Cloud Infrastructure, this service is like an IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service). Google Compute Engine provides High performance and high scalable virtual machines, it allows us to create a large scale of virtual instances, and we can choose 1 to 32 CPU virtual cores with 208GB of High memory, 64TB of root persistent boot disk per virtual machine. Instances Starting with the f1-micro machine (1 Virtual CPU with 0.60GB Memory )is shared by Physical Core And also Google Cloud platform providing high CPU machine of 32 virtual CPUs with 208GB of memory n1-highmem-32. And every each compute engine instance has a single root persistent disk of maximum space of size 64TB , and Local SSD 3TB. if you want additional storage for any instance we can add from Storage service and it has no limits at all.
Let’s start to create an instance in google Cloud platform. First login to your Google Cloud Account with below link,
If it’s the first login you’ll see the below screen to create virtual machine instance in Google Cloud Platform.
Just follow below instruction as blow to create a new (Virtual Machine) instance
Creating an instance is easy but it is very important to know about choosing instance type, and as mentioned above screenshot lot of things to keep in mind while creating an instance and also choose what is suitable for your requirements and how you’re going to use the instance.
1. Name: Give any name for Instance that you can recognize the instance type and it not allow you give space and extra special characters, it allow only lowercase letters, numbers or hyphens with up to 62 characters.
- Zone: The Zones determine the instance where it is stored and what type of instances available in the selected zones. Zone are Certain Compute Engine instances or resources live in regions or zones. A region is a specific geographical location where you can run your instances or resources. Google have multiple zones in Each region. Google have almost 15 zones are available currently. And you can see below zones diagram for the available zone in Google Cloud platform.
- Machine Type: This is very important while creating the instances. As per your requirements your choose virtual Instance Starting with the f1-micro machine (1 Virtual CPU with 0.60GB Memory ) to the large scale of high-performance instances like n1-highmem-32 (high CPU machine of 32 virtual CPU’s with 208GB of memory ). Select instance types from the drop-down list.
You can customize the instance type from the customizing option.
- Boot Disk: Every instance requires a boot disk to boot the instance from the image. Boot disks are the images or snapshot of OS, select an image or snapshot to create a virtual instance.
- Identity and API Access: This is based on your Google cloud service account to access google cloud products and services.
Access Scopes: This will allow the service accounts, access scopes, and ‘Identity and Access Management (IAM)’ rules that apply to service accounts on yours google cloud. By default ‘Access scopes’ allow the read-only permission to storage and service management, write access to Cloud Logging and Monitoring, read/write access to Service Control.Select ‘Allow default access’ provides complete access to your service account.
- Firewall: Each network on Google Cloud has a firewall setting that blocks all traffic to instances, but default firewall settings do not block outbound traffic from instances. To allow outbound traffic to come into instances, you must create “allow” rules for the firewall in subnetwork and firewall rules.
Here I’m allowing both the protocols to allow access from the outbound network. You can choose your own firewall settings for instance.
Finally, click on create to complete the VM instance creation on Google Cloud Platform.
for doing further changes in the server, make sure change the password for the access user.
Conclusion: Google Cloud Compute Engine is very powerful service to create virtual instances in Google Cloud Platform. After creating the instance select SSH (Secure Shell) to take access the linux machine via terminal, and change the password of your access account for further tasks.